Barclays appoints Peter Kimpel as Head of Banking, Germany and Country Manager, Germany
Barclays today announces the appointment of Peter Kimpel as Head of Banking, Germany and Country Manager for Barclays in Germany.
Peter has over 20 years of investment banking experience. For the past four years, Peter has been Chief Financial Officer of Rocket Internet SE, a publicly quoted Internet company which he helped list in 2014. In this role, he was involved in the IPOs of key portfolio companies such as Delivery Hero, HelloFresh and Home 24.
Prior to Rocket Internet, Peter spent more than 20 years at Goldman Sachs, most recently as a Partner covering clients in the Financial Institutions sector across Europe.
Peter will lead Banking activities in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, working closely with Dominik Huhle, Head of Banking Coverage, Germany and Austria, and Martin Gueldenberg, who retain their existing client leadership roles. He will also work with Ralf Herfurth, Chairman, Germany, Austria and Switzerland, and Silvia Schmitten, Chief Operating Officer for Germany.
In addition, Peter will be responsible for risk and control oversight of Barclays International’s business in Germany, which includes Cards and Payments, Corporate Banking and Investment Banking.
Peter joins Barclays in October 2018 and will report to Carlo Calabria, Head of Banking Coverage, Continental Europe and CEEMENA and Head of Banking, Barclays Bank Ireland, for his Banking responsibilities, and Kevin Wall, CEO for Barclays Bank Ireland, in his Country Manager role.
Carlo Calabria, Head of Banking Coverage, Continental Europe and CEEMENA and Head of Banking, Barclays Bank Ireland commented:
“Peter’s exceptional banking career, coupled with his client-side experience, has provided him with a comprehensive skill-set, and experience to help advise and serve our clients in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. In addition, he brings a deep knowledge and understanding of technology, which is becoming an increasingly important feature in banking.
“Peter is joining a team which has already developed a strong banking franchise across the region and this appointment further highlights Barclays’ commitment to Continental Europe.”
Since his internal appointment in September 2017 - Reid Marsh, Head of Banking EME & Asia Pac has been focused on investing in people to further strengthen our EME Banking platform by filling those strategic gaps where we think there are opportunities to deepen our relationships with clients, increase our market share and drive returns for our shareholders.
According to Dealogic data, Barclays ended H1 2018 ranked as the #4 Investment Bank in EME with a record EME fee share of 5.1%. Barclays has hired 9 Banking EME MDs this year – see list below.
- Darren Campili has been appointed as Vice Chairman of our Healthcare team where he will focus on expanding Barclays’ relationships with European life sciences clients by providing world class advice and capital raising services.
- Daniel Aharoni joined our TMT coverage team as a Managing Director in June. He is focused on technology clients, a sector that is crucial to the success of our EME TMT franchise and increasingly touches nearly every other sector in today’s environment of disruption.
- Johannes Vavrovsky joined our Financial Sponsors team as a Managing Director in June. He will focus on building our franchise with financial sponsor clients in EME, working closely with our product, country and sector colleagues in the region.
- Tim Kerry will join our Leveraged Finance team as a Managing Director in August. He will focus on natural resources and financial institution clients.
- Andrew Tusa joined as a Managing Director in our UK Corporate Broking business in May. Andrew has over 20 years of experience in the industry and will focus on deepening our existing client relationships and winning new brokerships.
- Francesco Ceccato joined our team as Managing Director and Co-Head of FIG Banking, EME in May. Francesco co-leads the business with Mike Lamb. He transferred from Barclays Corporate Development and Principal Investments (BCDPI).
- Darren McKay, Managing Director also moved to the FIG team from BCDPI in May to work under Francesco.
- Enrique Pinel joined as a Managing Director in June to focus on our FIG franchise in Iberia.
- Omar Faruqui joined as Managing Director, Co-Head of UK M&A in January from HSBC (working with his Co-Head of UK M&A Derek Shakespeare)
We continue to invest in people by strengthening and expanding our bench of EME Senior Advisors. These senior external advisors are a key resource to our business that we utilise to help our clients manage their businesses: Franco Bernabe (Italy); Miguel Temboury (Spain); Jurgen Van Breukelen (Netherlands); Francois Baroin (France); Makram Azar (Middle East from January 2019)