Barclays appoints Fater Belbachir Global Head of Equities
London, 04 June 2019 – Barclays today announces the appointment of Fater Belbachir as Global Head of Equities. He will lead the Equities business across Cash, Derivatives, Prime and Syndicate. Based in London, he will report to Stephen Dainton, Head of Markets (Interim).
Fater has close to 20 years of experience in the global equities markets. Prior to Barclays, he spent 12 years at JP Morgan, most recently as Global Head of Volatility Trading and Structuring, and previously as Head of Volatility Trading and Structuring for the Americas. He also held a number of trading roles including leading the exotics and hybrids business in EMEA. Before JP Morgan, Fater was an equity derivatives trader with Credit Suisse.
Stephen Dainton commented:
“We are delighted to welcome Fater to Barclays. Under his leadership, we look forward to building on the momentum that we have in our Equities business, a franchise that outperformed competitors in 2018 and delivered the fastest revenue growth among our peers.”
Notes to Editors:
Barclays Equities business
- Barclays has made significant investments across its Equities business, which has driven stronger client activity and improved performance in the business
- Full Year 2018 Equities revenues were up 25% (up 29% in USD) vs. 2017, outperforming competitors:
- Performance was driven by strong growth in Derivatives and Equity Financing
- Delivered the best quarter in more than two years in Electronic Equities in Q4 2018
- In Asia, Barclays has expanded its existing capabilities in program trading and electronic trading to better leverage the full scale of our global capabilities and meet the changing demands of our clients
- In May 2019, Barclays announced BARX One, a next generation algorithmic trading offering for Equities, hosting all algo strategies in a comprehensive platform, centralising all signals, models, and decision making to deliver a more efficient and effective trading experience
- The appointment of Fater Belbachir follows the appointment of several other senior hires to the Equities and Structuring businesses:
- Nicolas Reille joined in April 2019 as MD, Head of Equities Structuring for Asia Pacific
- Mike Lewis joined Barclays in November 2018 as an MD in Americas Cash Equities Trading
- Andy Rouff joined Barclays in October 2018 as an MD in Americas Cash Equities Trading
- David Tait promoted in October 2018 to Head of EMEA Cash Equities Trading
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer and wholesale bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs 83,500 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide.
For further information about Barclays, please visit our website www.home.barclays