Barclays appoints Ee-Ching Tay as Head of Southeast Asia Banking
Barclays today announces the appointment of Ee-Ching Tay as Head of Southeast Asia Banking. Based in Singapore, Ms. Tay will report to Vanessa Koo, Head of Banking for Asia Pacific and Greater China at Barclays.
Ms. Tay will be responsible for further growing our Banking franchise in Southeast Asia, with a particular focus on driving Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) advisory and Financing. In particular, she will lead and cultivate our most senior client relationships and manage the team covering key corporate clients, financial institutions, financial sponsors and government agencies in the region.
Ms. Tay joins Barclays with over 20 years of experience in investment banking in the U.S. and in Asia. She was most recently Managing Director and Head of Southeast Asia M&A for a decade at JP Morgan in Singapore. Prior to that, Ms. Tay was an Executive Director in the M&A team at UBS in New York. Ms. Tay brings an impressive deal track record in M&A and capital raisings worth over US$100bn spanning a wide range of sectors.
Ms. Tay takes on this role from Sandeep Pahwa, who has led Barclays Southeast Asia Banking since November 2010. Mr. Pahwa will continue to serve as Vice Chairman and Head of Asia Pacific Client Coverage at Barclays.
“Southeast Asia is strategically important to Barclays as a dynamic high-growth region. Indeed, Ee-Ching’s appointment demonstrates our continued commitment to invest for growth in areas where we see exciting opportunities, supporting Barclays’ regional and global businesses. Her extensive transactional expertise and deep local knowledge will bring substantial value to our clients,” said Vanessa Koo, Head of Banking for Asia Pacific and Greater China at Barclays. “We would also like to extend our thanks to Sandeep for building a solid Southeast Asia Banking franchise over the past decade.”
Notes for Editors
Barclays has been in Asia Pacific for over 50 years and primarily supports corporations and financial institutions across the Asia region, catering to their cross-border Corporate and Investment banking needs and connecting them to the capital markets of Europe and the Americas. Barclays Banking team offers comprehensive financial advisory, capital raising, financing and risk management services for corporations, governments and financial institutions worldwide.
Recent senior hires at Barclays in Asia Pacific:
• May 2021: Girish Mithran, Head of Program Trading, Asia
• March 2021: Yehong Ji Vice Chairman, Banking, Greater China
• March 2021: Kelvin Teo, Head of Equity Capital Markets, Asia Pacific
• November 2020: Florent Rodier, Head of Exotic Derivatives, Asia Pacific
• September 2020: James Hassett (relocated from London) as Head of Flow Macro Trading, Asia in addition to his role as Co-Head of Global Emerging Markets and G10 Linear FX
• July 2020: Alexander Harrison, Singapore Country Manager
• March 2020: Carrie Chen, Vice Chairman, Banking, Greater China
• March 2020: Sung-Min Chung, Head of Technology, Banking, Asia Pacific
• January 2020: Yuhiko Yano, Chairman of Banking, Japan