Barclays appoints Hossein Zaimi as Head of Markets for Asia Pacific
Hong Kong, 12 May, 2022 – As Barclays continues to build on its leading position and invest in growing its Asia Pacific franchise, the firm announced today that it has appointed Hossein Zaimi as Head of Markets for Asia Pacific. Based in Hong Kong, Hossein will be responsible for driving the firm’s APAC Markets business and lead the teams in the region to deliver best-in-class products and service offerings to its clients. He will report functionally to Adeel Khan and Stephen Dainton, Co-Heads of Global Markets, and regionally to Jaideep Khanna, Head of Barclays, Asia Pacific.
Hossein is an industry veteran with close to 30 years of extensive financial experience where he has taken on global and regional roles in HSBC, Crédit Lyonnais and Salmon Smith Barney. Prior to joining Barclays, he spent the last 17 years with HSBC in a variety of senior leadership appointments, where he was most recently Global Head of Equities and Global Co-Head of Securities Financing, and a member of the Global Markets Executive Committee. He has led a broad range of functions, including the management of all trading and structuring activities across all asset classes in APAC.
“APAC is at the centre of our multi-year growth strategy for Global Markets and Hossein’s appointment attests to the significant investment we are making to expand our franchise in the region,” says Stephen Dainton.
“It is critical to our growth plan that we continue to build great teams and bring in strong leaders. Hossein is widely respected and equally recognised by peers and clients as one of the leading figures in the industry and we’re very excited to have him join Barclays to further grow our franchise in APAC,” says Adeel Khan.
Jaideep Khanna adds, “The success of Barclays’ Asia Pacific franchise is driven by our ability to attract and hire the best talent to grow our business. Hossein brings solid cross-product experience in APAC and has had global product ownership for FX and Equities for a number of years. We are confident that his broad expertise, coupled with a deep knowledge of Asian markets, will move us closer to achieving our goals and ambitions for the region.”
Notes for Editors
Barclays has been in Asia Pacific for over 50 years and primarily supports corporations and financial institutions across the Asia Pacific region, catering to their cross-border Corporate and Investment banking needs and connecting them to the capital markets of UK, Europe and the Americas. Barclays in Asia Pacific is headed by Jaideep Khanna; its regional Investment Banking, Global Markets and Corporate Banking business is respectively led by Vanessa Koo, Anthony Davies, and Pushkaraj Gumaste.
Recent development at Barclays in Asia Pacific
· Mar 2022: Matt Pecot to retire; Anthony Davies appointed interim Head of Markets for APAC
· Mar 2022: Carrie Chen and Raymond Yu: Co-Head of Investment Banking, Greater China
· Feb 2022: Pushkaraj Gumaste, Head of Corporate Banking, Asia Pacific and Middle East
· Jan 2022: Duncan Beattie and Duncan Connellan, Managing Directors, Investment Banking in Australia
· Dec 2021: Barclays granted license to operate as a foreign ADI in Australia
· Oct 2021: Angela Liu, Country CEO, China
· Aug 2021: Barclays Bank infuses over Rs. 3,000 crore capital to grow India operations
· Aug 2021: Grace Kuo, Shanghai Branch Manager
· Aug 2021: Mani Joseph, Head of Asia Special Situations, Credit
· Jul 2021: Evonne Tan, Head of Barclays Private Bank, Singapore
· Jun 2021: Ee-Ching Tay, Head of Investment Banking, Southeast Asia
· May 2021: Girish Mithran, Head of Program Trading, Asia
· Mar 2021: Yehong Ji, Vice Chairman, Banking, Greater China
· Mar 2021: Kelvin Teo, Head of Equity Capital Markets, Asia Pacific
· Sep 2020: Barclays makes strategic investment in Australia