Barclays research reveals more than half of Brits struggle to manage their daily spend
- Over a third of people (39 per cent) say they spend money on unnecessary items out of boredom
- A quarter (24 per cent) admit to feeling unsettled if they haven’t bought something in a week
- Barclays and Fearne Cotton have teamed up to offer Brits the chance to have their goals turned into a design for their debit cards, helping them stick to their money goals
21st November 2019: New research from Barclays has revealed that 63 per cent of Brits admit they struggle to stay in control of their spending, with 39 per cent spending on unnecessary items simply out of boredom. In a bid to keep temptation at bay, some people revealed that they have gone to the length of keeping money in their underwear drawers (22 per cent) or even stowing it under the bed (17 per cent).
The findings also revealed that over a third of Brits (35 per cent) are aware they spend too much on daily treats when they know they shouldn’t, whilst a similar number (32 per cent) said they spend too much on online shopping because there’s nothing to stop them. A quarter (24 per cent) of Brits went on to admit that they feel unsettled if they haven’t bought something in a week.
To help Brits spend more mindfully and take control of their finances, Barclays has teamed up with TV personality – and keen artist – Fearne Cotton to design bespoke illustrations for a selection of lucky Brits, capturing their goals, interests and motivations. Barclays customers will then be able to use the free debit card personalisation service to print their image onto their debit card, acting as a daily reminder of the things they want to achieve, a tactic that’s proven to help change everyday behaviour**.
Fearne Cotton commented, “With so many temptations at our fingertips, it can sometimes become very easy to lose sight of how our money can work better for us. Whether it’s saving for your first home, taking that well deserved holiday, or turning that passion project into a full-time business, it's the small changes that we can make every day that can have a huge impact on our future.
“I’m hoping to encourage more people to discover all the ways they can manage their money better by offering them a unique and meaningful daily reminder that they can take with them anywhere.”
In terms of where Brits aspire to spend their money, travelling abroad is a key desire for most (41 per cent), and getting a healthy bank balance is essential to achieving goals for two in five people, who said they wouldn’t change a career or start a family until they did so.
Sue Baines, Head of Personalised Debit Cards at Barclays said, “We want to make it as easy as possible for our customers to reach their goals. Whether it’s by putting a picture on their debit card that will keep them motivated, or personalising the way they use their card through our app.
“In our app, customers can access a range of personalised features including setting spending limits and turning on or off categories such as shopping online, pubs, restaurants and much more.”
Ten lucky winners will receive their personalised designs from Fearne. However, all Barclays customers can personalise their debit cards for free with a favourite photo in a few quick and easy steps.
To be in with a chance of having Fearne Cotton design your own personalised design, entrants simply need to email their completed entry form to email@example.com. Entrants will be asked to detail their passions, motivators and ambitions which will become the inspiration for the piece.
Notes to editors
Download images here.
About the research
Survey of 2,000 respondents conducted through Censuswide in November 2019
** Reminders Through Association, Todd Rogers & Katherine L Milkman (2016)
Dogs on the Street, Pumas on Your Feet: How Cues in the Environment Influence Product Evaluation and Choice, Jonah Berger & Gráinne Fitzsimons 2008)
About Barclays debit cards
For more information on how you can personalise your Barclays debit card, please visit personalisedcard.barclays.co.uk. T&Cs apply.
We have lots of tools to help customers stay in control of how much they spend and where they spend it, as well as making them less vulnerable to fraud and scams.
- Spending Controls: Customers can choose a daily limit for cash machine withdrawals as well as turn on and off the ability to make cash machine withdrawals. Also, in the touch of a button, customers can control whether their card can be used to make payments online, in apps, through mail order or over the phone.
- Travelling abroad: To help customers protect their card, they can turn on and off the ability to make payments abroad.
- Merchant control: Customers can stop card payments to any of the following categories to help them stay in control – Gambling; Premium-rate websites and phone lines; restaurants, food outlets, pubs and bars; petrol and diesel; groceries and supermarkets.
- Spending limits: Customers can turn on spending limits, which gives them the ability to control and set the maximum value of each card payment .
- The spending feature (found in the app under ‘Spending’) also helps customers see how much they are spending under different categories. Customers will see their transactions bucketed into 12 main categories and over 70 sub-categories including: bills, transport, cash and leisure, making it easier to keep track of budgets. Transactions are automatically categorised. However, you can change the category of a transaction to make sure all your budgeting is crystal clear! Customers can also compare their spending vs the previous month to help them see how their balance is doing.
- Temporary freeze: Customers can temporarily freeze their card instantly, and instantly unfreeze it too.
- Calendar view: To help stay on top of upcoming bills and manage their money, customers can use our calendar feature to keep track of regular payment dates, and predicted payments.
For more information, please see: https://www.barclays.co.uk/ways-to-bank/mobile-banking-app/features/
Terms and Conditions – ‘Fearne Cotton personalised design prize draw’
This document sets out the rules for this prize draw. Make sure you read them carefully and understand them all before you enter the draw.
- Barclays is running a promotion (the “Promotion”), giving you a chance to win 1 of 10 personalised framed drawing designed by Fearne Cotton (the “Prize Draw”) between 21 November 2019 and 9 December 2019 (the “Promotional Period”).
Entrance to this prize draw is subject to these terms and conditions.
- “Barclays”, “we”, “us” and “ours” means Barclays Bank UK PLC.
Who may enter?
- The Prize Draw is open to UK mainland residents who meet the criteria set out in clause 7 of these Terms and Conditions.
- You are not eligible for the Prize Draw if you are materially connected to the administration of the Prize Draw.
- Entry for eligible customers is free.
- You can enter the Prize Draw from 00:01 GMT on 21 November until 23:59 GMT on 9 December 2019 (the “Promotional Period”). Entries made after this time will not be valid, even if they appear to be registered.
- To be entered into the Prize Draw you must:
a) be at least 18 years or over;
b) be a resident of the United Kingdom (excluding the Channel Islands);
c) access the Barclays press release titled “Barclays research reveals more than half of Brits struggle to manage their daily spend” published on the home.Barclays newsroom (available at the following link: https://home.barclays/news/press-releases/);
d) Answer all 8 questions and submit the completed entry form via e-mail to MediaCampaigns@barclays.com; and
e) Enter during the Promotional Period.
- There will be one entry per person, multiple entries will not be counted.
- Lost, delayed, undelivered, incomplete, entries made via third parties, or multiple entries will not be entered into the Prize Draw. Barclays accepts no responsibility for entries not successfully completed due to a technical fault, technical malfunction, computer hardware or software failure, satellite, network or server failure of any kind. Barclays accepts no responsibility for any entries which are not completed for any reason.
- Entries with obscenities, of a defamatory nature, include any personal details (e.g. bank details), or infringe any third party rights will be excluded from the Prize Draw.
- There will be 10 Winners. The Prize Draw Winners will each win a personalised, framed drawing designed by Fearne Cotton based on the questions contained in the Prize Draw Winners’ entry form submitted at clause 7(d) above (the “Prize”).
- The Prize has no cash equivalent, no alternatives to the Prize will be offered. The Prize and participation in the Prize Draw cannot be exchanged or transferred, and may be subject to additional terms and conditions. However, in the event that the Prize offered is unavailable due to circumstances beyond our control, we reserve the right to offer alternative prizes of equal or greater value.
- Other than as set out in the Terms and Conditions of entry and below, you may not transfer or sell the Prize to anybody (which, for the avoidance of doubt, includes reproduction and sale of the Prize).
- The Prize Draw Winners are responsible for their own expenses incurred in connection with the Prize, including (as applicable) travel and accommodation expenses.
- Barclays shall not be liable or responsible in case a Winner should fail to use the Prize, for any reason whatsoever.
Selecting the Winners
- Each Prize Draw Winner will be drawn by random on 10 December 2019 at 10:00 GMT (the “Draw Date”) from all eligible entries.
- Barclays will notify each Winner via e-mail no later than 17:00 GMT on 13 December. Prize Draw Winners who hold a Barclays personal current account (and have selected they are a Barclays debit card holder in accordance with the questions at clause 7(d)) will be given the option to personalise their debit card when notified in accordance with this clause 17. Barclays can replace any entrant selected as the Winner if:
(a) the entrant does not respond to the email within seventy-two (72) hours after the email has been sent; or
(b) we reasonably believe that the entrant has broken one of these rules.
- The Winners will each receive their Prize by recorded delivery within 40 business days of the Draw Date (to allow the personalised designs to be created and posted to each Winner).
- With the exception of any Winner who has requested a suppression of their details under applicable data protection laws, the name and county of each Winner will be made available to anyone sending an email entitled ‘Fearne Cotton Prize Draw’ to the following email address: MediaCampaigns@barclays.com; within twenty eight (28) days of the published closing date.
- Winners of this Promotion can request for a suppression of any disclosure of their details subject to any requirements to share promotion prize-winners information with relevant regulators or to fulfil a legal requirement. All Winners will be offered this right at the point of the winning notification detailed in clause 19.
- Barclays’ selection of the Winners is final. No other correspondence will be entered into.
- Barclays is not liable for delayed or non-delivery of the Prize for any reason beyond its control, including but not limited to loss or theft in transit or any failure by you to accept delivery of a Prize for any reason.
- Barclays will only collect, store and use your personal information, such as name, age and basic contact details including email address, phone number and social media details for the purposes of entering you into, administering, and promoting the Prize Draw as set out in these rules, and not for any other purpose without your consent. This will not affect any existing marketing preferences that you have registered with Barclays.
- By entering the Prize Draw, you consent that your personal information may be transferred to our service providers and agents (including their sub-contractors) to store and use as necessary to administer the Prize Draw. Barclays will ensure that any third parties processing or storing your personal information for the Prize Draw, shall comply with the same data protection requirements as Barclays and this personal data will only be processed for the purposes of administering this Prize Draw. If required, the Winners of the Prize Draw consents to their personal address being transferred to a courier company/postal service for the purpose of delivering the Prize. We will never pass your information to any third party for them to use in their own direct marketing, without your consent.
- Personal information for all entrants will be held on record for as short a period of time as necessary to administer the Promotion and then securely destroyed. Personal information for Winners will be held on file for a period of up to one year to satisfy regulatory reporting requirements on prize giving activities in different jurisdictions.
- To the extent permitted by law, Barclays will not be liable for any loss, damage, injury or disappointment suffered in connection with the Prize Draw (including any damage to your or any other person’s computer or mobile phone equipment as a consequence of downloading or accessing any materials), or any delays or failure (in whole or in part) to perform any of its obligations if such delay or failure is caused by something beyond its reasonable control.
- The Prize Draw is not sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. You agree to release Twitter, Facebook and Instagram from any liability associated with the Prize Draw.
- This Promotion is not affiliated with, sponsored by or endorsed by the products or retailers featured in the Prizes. Trademarks, logos and names of the products and retailers are the property of the respective owner.
- Owing to exceptional circumstances outside its reasonable control, Barclays may choose to withdraw or amend the Prize Draw at any time and reject entries from entrants not entering into the spirit of the Prize Draw.
- By submitting an entry, you warrant that all information submitted as part of the entry is true, current and complete. Barclays reserves the right to verify all entries.
- These rules shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and the courts of England shall have exclusive jurisdiction in relation to any disputes arising in respect of this Prize Draw.
- The promoter is Barclays Bank UK, PLC 1 Churchill Place, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5HP.
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer and wholesale bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 83,500 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide.
For further information about Barclays, please visit our website www.barclays.com