Barclays extends COVID-19 support offered to UK charities by re-opening applications for donations
- Barclays extends 100x100 Programme to support communities impacted by COVID-19, opening applications for 50 further donations of £100k
- The programme forms part of Barclays’ £100m COVID-19 Community Aid Package, which has already supported 290+ charities, globally, since April 2020
(LONDON, 12 July 2021) – From today until Friday 06 August, inspired by the work of charities across the UK to deliver vital support to communities impacted by the pandemic, Barclays is again inviting UK-registered charities* supporting vulnerable communities facing social and economic hardship as a result of the crisis to apply for one of 50 donations of £100,000 through the 100x100 Programme.
This support, which forms part of the Barclays £100m COVID-19 Community Aid Package, will be focused on charity partners which are meeting the immediate needs of communities across the UK affected by COVID-19, including:
- help for people experiencing physical and mental health issues;
- financial assistance for people facing financial hardship;
- support for ethnically diverse communities disproportionately impacted by the crisis;
- and enhancing digital accessibility.
Established in April 2020 to help charities working in the communities hardest hit by the pandemic, Barclays’ COVID-19 Community Aid Package has supported more than 290 charities globally to date, including more than 220 national and grassroots UK charities.
Barclays pledged to make 100 donations of £100,000 to UK grassroots charities using funds from the bank’s COVID-19 Community Aid Package. Inspired by the scale of responses and in response to the overwhelming demand and vital impact these charities are delivering, Barclays exceeded its target and made 187 such donations in 2020.
Today’s announcement means another 50 UK charities will each be supported by the end of 2021 with a cash donation of £100,000.
Commenting on the announcement, Nigel Higgins, Barclays Chairman, said:
“Our charity partners have been working tirelessly to support vulnerable communities across the UK through what has been a difficult year. These charities have championed a range of causes, including tackling homelessness, food poverty or loneliness, and we are immensely grateful for their work in the communities in which we live and work.
“While we are starting to emerge from the most acute stage of the crisis, the effects of the pandemic will continue to be felt by many. Our decision to extend our 100x100 programme for a second time reflects this, allowing Barclays to support a further 50 grassroots charities in their crucial work in our local communities.”
*A full list of eligibility criteria can be found on Barclays website.
– ENDS –
Notes to editors:
- Further details of the extended 100 x 100 programme, and an online application form, can be found on Barclays’ website.
- Applications can be made between 9am (UK) on 12 July and 6pm (UK) on 06 August and will be reviewed by an internal Barclays committee.
- The bank expects to begin distributing funds in the Autumn, subject to completion of due diligence and additional internal governance requirements.
- Case studies of charities which benefitted from the donations made from the Barclays 100x100 COVID-19 UK Community Relief programme in 2020 are available here and on request.