Barclays appoints Naohiko Baba as Chief Japan Economist and Head of Japan Research
Tokyo, 4 January 2024 – Barclays today announces that Mr. Naohiko Baba has joined Barclays Securities Japan Limited and been appointed to the position of Managing Director, Chief Japan Economist and Head of Japan Research, effective 1 January 2024, reporting to Christian Keller, Head of Economics Research.
In this role, Mr. Baba will lead Barclays’ macroeconomic research for Japan as the company continues to focus on its economic research capabilities both locally and globally. With over 30 years’ industry experience, he brings a wealth of expertise and insightful thought leadership on Japan’s economy, especially its monetary policy. These are of core importance for Barclays’ institutional clients as it helps them navigate a long-awaited shift in the Japanese economy expected to have significant implications for their strategies.
Mr. Baba joins Barclays from Goldman Sachs, where he was Chief Japan Economist for the last 13 years. Prior to that, he worked at the Bank of Japan (BOJ), where he led various divisions including the Financial System Research Division and the Money Markets and Fixed Income Division. He was also a senior economist of global financial markets at the Bank for International Settlement (BIS) in Switzerland.
“This appointment underpins our commitment to attract and invest in the best talent,” commented Christian Keller. “We are confident that our clients locally and globally will benefit from his deep knowledge and expertise of the Japanese economy.”
Notes for Editors
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customer and client, and geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group. For further information about Barclays, please visit our website home.barclays.
About Barclays Corporate and Investment Bank
Barclays Corporate and Investment Bank is comprised of the Investment Banking, International Corporate Banking, Global Markets and Research businesses. It provides money managers, financial institutions, governments, supranational organisations and corporate clients with services and advice for their funding, financing, strategic and risk management needs. For further information about Barclays Corporate and Investment Bank, please visit our website www.cib.barclays.
About Barclays in Asia Pacific
Barclays has been in Asia Pacific for over 50 years and primarily supports corporations and financial institutions across the Asia Pacific region, catering to their cross-border Corporate and Investment banking needs and connecting them to the capital markets of UK, Europe, and the Americas. Barclays in Asia Pacific is headed by Jaideep Khanna, its regional Investment Banking and Global Markets business is respectively led by Vanessa Koo and Hossein Zaimi. Pushkaraj Gumaste heads its regional Corporate Banking business.
Recent key hires and development at Barclays in Asia Pacific
- Nov 2023: Barclays appoints Jean-Baptiste Patois as Head of Equity Derivatives ex-Strategic Derivatives, Asia Pacific
- Oct 2023: Barclays appoints Denise Wong as Head of Sustainable and Impact Banking, Asia Pacific
- July 2023: Barclays appoints Akihiko Yamada as Head of TMT, Investment Banking for Japan
- July 2022: Barclays establishes subsidiary in Taiwan
- May 2022: Barclays strengthens strategic partnership with Barrenjoey Capital Partners
- June 2022: Dave Dai, Head of ESG Research, APAC
- May 2022: Barclays appoints Hossein Zaimi as Head of Markets for Asia Pacific
- Mar 2022: Matt Pecot to retire; Anthony Davies appointed interim Head of Markets for APAC
- Mar 2022: Carrie Chen and Raymond Yu: Co-Head of Investment Banking, Greater China
- Feb 2022: Pushkaraj Gumaste, Head of Corporate Banking, Asia Pacific and Middle East
- Jan 2022: Duncan Beattie, Managing Director, Investment Banking, Australia
- Jan 2022: Duncan Connellan, Managing Director, Investment Banking, Australia